For more great baseball stories like this one, 'like' us on Facebook -

Friday, April 17, 2020

Terry Bross set save mark at AA Jackson, later saw majors and Japan, then became agent

Originally published July 24, 2019
Terry Bross came on in relief for the Jackson Mets in this July 1990 game and, by the time he was done, he had a new franchise record for saves, according to The Jackson Clarion-Ledger.

The save marked his 26th of the season, breaking the old franchise mark of 25 set four years earlier, The Clarion-Ledger wrote.

"This means a lot to me because a lot of great pitchers have come through here," Bross told The Clarion-Ledger afterward. "This means I left my mark."

Bross left his mark in as a player over 13 professional seasons, both in the United States and Japan. He also left his mark in the majors, though briefly. He saw eight relief outings for the Mets in 1991 and two for the Giants in 1993.

Bross has since left his mark on the game in a different way, as a player agent.

Bross' career in baseball began in 1987, taken by the Mets in the 13th round of the draft out of St. John's University.

Bross started with the Mets at short-season Little Falls. He had a 3.86 ERA there over 10 outings his first year. His first season then ended early on an awkward swing and torn back muscle, according to The New York Times.

''I gained considerable experience though, and lots of confidence,'' Bross told The Times that October. ''I'm looking forward to playing again next season, but by then who knows what will be going on?''

He returned to Little Falls for his second year and then moved to single-A St. Lucie for 1989 and AA Jackson for 1990.

Bross hit AA Williamsport and AAA Tidewater for 1991. Then, that September, he saw Flushing.

In his eight appearances for the Mets down the stretch in 1991, Bross gave up two earned in 10 innings of work.

He played 1992 at AAA Las Vegas with the Padres. He then moved to the Giants system for 1993. He gave up two earned in two innings of work for San Francisco that year.

After playing 1993 and 1994 at AAA with the Giants and Reds, Bross moved to Japan. He played three seasons for Yakult. In his first season there, he went 14-5, with a 2.33 ERA.

He played for Seibu in 1998, then returned stateside for two more appearances at AAA in 1999 to end his career.

Bross has since gone on to be a sports agent. In November 2013, Bross and his client Bronson Arroyo waited for more information, including what might happen to Masahiro Tanaka, as Arroyo looked for a new contract.

"It's going to take some time for the market to develop, but you want to know what the market is," Bross told The New York Post. "We're all waiting for the first domino to fall, whether it's a free-agent signing or for Tanaka to be posted and for someone to win the post."

No comments:

Post a Comment